Welcome to the Association for Vertical Farming’s website. You will find here information about Urban Agriculture in the forms of Vertical/Indoor Farming and Controlled Environment Agriculture (CEA).
Indoor Farming Benefits Include:
- Increases food security, safety and sovereignty for urban areas and food deserts
- Delivers higher yields due to intensification, faster crop cycle and year-round production
- Causes no soil or water contamination due to zero runoff and leaching
- Consumes less water and recirculates wastewater
- Uses no pesticide, herbicide and minimal fertilizer (mostly non-chemical fertilizers)
- Optimizes light quality, Carbon dioxide level, and nutrient solution to achieve desired taste, appearance and nutritional values in crops
- Decreases agricultural use of mineral resources
- Reduces the negative land-use changes
- Lowers labor intensity and higher capacity for automation
- Fosters full digitalization of agricultural practices
- Moves urban food systems toward eliminating crop loss due to regional climate conditions, pests or pathogens
- Shortens the supply chain results in fresh food and close to zero waste from farm to fork
- Decreases fossil fuel dependency in both transportation and production phase of the food system
- Facilitates easier integration with renewable energy sources
- Creates jobs for highly skilled workers in different sectors because of multidisciplinary nature
- Retrofits unused urban spaces
- Many more!
Comments are closed.